Thursday, September 14

The alphabet

The great thing about clearing out stuff is that sometimes you rediscover small instances of cuteness. Like this.


I made it for the firstborn before his arrival. It's tiny. He only wore it on a few occasions special enough to merit the risk of its ruination. The first time it was put on he was promptly sick all over the front, as he was over all clothes on him and anyone near him.

I remember so well the concentrated passion with which I worked on it, the plastic texture of the cheap acrylic wool made in South Africa, the shine of the expensive embroidery yarns.

What, I wonder now, is the iconography of the alphabet doing on a newborn's garment? The cutesy bunnies and hearts and flowers and birds are comprehensible. But why the alphabet? Is it the drive to succeed, to have ones child succeed, writ (embroidered) large on the chest? Perhaps a statement of learning (lettering) intent. Or maybe a hark back to the sampler and thus a demonstration of my own prowess and worth:

By the 18th century, samplers were a complete contrast to the scattered samples sewn earlier on. These samplers were stitched more to demonstrate knowledge than to preserve skill. The stitching of samplers was believed to be a sign of virtue, achievement and industry, and girls were taught the art from a young age.

The original recipient now wears a blazer, white shirt, tie. Is learning other alphabets than this. I shall have no more babies. Where should this little garment go? so much else has gone to the bin, the charity shop, the recycling centre. I find this very hard to part with in those ways. Somebody have a baby, quickly!

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's so adorable. I would mount it in a shadow box frame and hang it on the wall...just like a sampler.

7:39 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Or save it for the future grandchildren. But be warned - I saved some of my mother's lovely work for my grandchildren, but daughter did not care for them when there were so many lovely new things given.

8:48 pm  
Blogger Dave said...

The stitching of samplers was believed to be a sign of virtue, achievement and industry

So blogs are samplers?

8:51 pm  
Blogger tournesol said...

Of course, Dave. Mine's a patchwork though, a bit less wrought and rather more thrown together.

And, um, doesn't one read them in order to learn how to embroider?

9:31 pm  
Blogger Lorianne said...

This one's too precious for the charity bin: save it for the grand-babies.

And I love this notion of blog as sampler (except, perhaps, for the virtue part...)

12:53 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohh, blog as sampler, yes.

And what marvelous work. I love the details you mention -- the texture of the South African wool...

2:18 am  
Blogger Pica said...

I'd vote for the shadow-box but if your house is anything like ours there's limited space for such things.

Being a letter freak I can think of NOTHING better to put on a baby's garment than the alphabet. Ours is all originally pictorial, anyway, and a superb combination of symmetry and quirkiness. Around which birds fly and flowers grow...

12:22 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

About 8 months ago I would have asked for it to be sent to my niece's newborn daughter Tess. Too late now, she's outgrown everything. But it's so beautiful, keep it for some as yet unorn lucky infant.

3:53 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I mean unborn.

3:54 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home