Packing (days in advance)
I'm like a kid in candy camping store. Really, the pleasure to be gained from sorting out, paring down is not to be underestimated. I wonder whether it's a barely subconscious desire to reduce the dross of the rest of my life.
I have a small pile of essentials - tent, sleeping bag, cooker, binoculars, bird book. Penknife, torch. A map, sleeping mat and waterproof over-trousers should be arriving in the post by Monday. I've printed off all the stages of the Isle of Arran Coastal Way. Very easy walking, but there's no way I'm going to get round all of it, particularly because of all the other exciting things there are to do.
The pressing problem of the day is the hugely important matter of coffee. Am I going to take an espresso pot or should I be content with the old fallback of shoving the grounds in hot water and pouring the liquid through a strainer? Of the two solutions the first is more weighty but I already possess the required items. The latter is lightweight but requires shopping (aka leaving the house) and the coffee isn't nearly as good.
The dilemma of the day is whether or not to take the big heavy camera together with the big heavy long lens and the big heavy tripod and a collection of big heavy batteries. Because that's quite a few awkwardly-shaped pounds of weight to cart around. But on the other hand I've only ever used the long lens once and never used the tripod. And if there aren't lovely things to photograph on Arran (weather permitting) I don't know where there would be.
So I suppose both questions have probably answer themselves. I shall develop a strong back, I hope.
I have a small pile of essentials - tent, sleeping bag, cooker, binoculars, bird book. Penknife, torch. A map, sleeping mat and waterproof over-trousers should be arriving in the post by Monday. I've printed off all the stages of the Isle of Arran Coastal Way. Very easy walking, but there's no way I'm going to get round all of it, particularly because of all the other exciting things there are to do.
The pressing problem of the day is the hugely important matter of coffee. Am I going to take an espresso pot or should I be content with the old fallback of shoving the grounds in hot water and pouring the liquid through a strainer? Of the two solutions the first is more weighty but I already possess the required items. The latter is lightweight but requires shopping (aka leaving the house) and the coffee isn't nearly as good.
The dilemma of the day is whether or not to take the big heavy camera together with the big heavy long lens and the big heavy tripod and a collection of big heavy batteries. Because that's quite a few awkwardly-shaped pounds of weight to cart around. But on the other hand I've only ever used the long lens once and never used the tripod. And if there aren't lovely things to photograph on Arran (weather permitting) I don't know where there would be.
So I suppose both questions have probably answer themselves. I shall develop a strong back, I hope.

13 Comments:
Our experience is that when we travel with our own van, we take along a LOT more stuff, like all the extra camera equipment! Of course lugging it all on long rambling walks is another thing. You could probably use the big stuff when you are not far from your van.
looking forward to your photographs, always such a treat!
I carry my big heavy lens a little over 7 miles every week. Anything much longer than that, or in the mountains, I find the weight more of a problem than it's worth.
Not knowing what focal length your heavy lens is, I'll have to say that I'm not always happy with a fixed length 400 mm lens because it eliminates an awful lot of shots I'd like to try.
I'm considering buying a lighter, though less efficient zoom lens precisely because of those limitations.
I think you will want the serious camera there if anywhere. Can't think of a better destination. Will be thinking of you on Arran. (curses, you're beating me, I've been wanting to go ever since the new centre opened).
That was confused. I'm tired. And thinking of you with many feelings. I meant that I've been wanting to go to Holy Island ever since they opened the new centre. Keep looking at the programme and not quite making it. But Arran too.
Lots and lots of space around everything. One of my favourite buddhist teachings is about how you can't change how salty salt is but you can slowly, slowly turn the cup into a lake.
Wow. This looks like so much fun!
The big heavy lens is a 50-200mm zoom (that's 100-400mm in 35mm terms) and it's one hell of a lens. Or at least so they say. But it weighs 2 1/2 lbs. Yes, of course I've got to take it. It's just that I'm very unfit. However it looks as though I'm going to get fit quite quickly :-)
Coffee -- the answer is a proper lightweight aluminium kettle. You don't need to pour the grounds through a strainer, either, if you buy proper boiling coffee. Put the grounds in cold water, bring to the boil when remove smartly from the heat. Leave for three to five minutes. Perfection.
But what is "proper boiling coffee"? and where do I find it?
Heh. I just got back from a daytrip to one of the Aran Islands here in Ireland, and here you're going to a place called Arran off the coast of the UK. When my ex & I were separating, I took a solo weekend getaway to Maine to clear my head: although I didn't camp, it felt good to be on my own in a B&B filled with cooing couples. Something about the solace of stones did me good.
I hope you have a great holiday, and I'm glad to hear that a meditation retreat is on the agenda.
This does sound like so much fun.
(I'm becoming absurdly minimalist when I travel and my question now is do I bring watercolor pencils only or also some paints? -- no camera. But I can't imagine your going without the big lens, and hope it doesn't give you a backache. What bird book, by the way?)
"Proper boiling coffeee" is just coarsely ground stuff, or more corasely ground that you get for filters. That way it sinks to the bottom of the kettle without fuss or filtration after it has boiled. I suppose that "cefetiere" coffee would be the equivalent here, and certainly works.
Ah yes, if it's a 700-200 mm zoom lens it's a must, about as versatile a lens as you can carry.
I'm sure you'll be stronger because of your efforts to carry it.
acb - thanks for the coffee tip. I shall reconsider the espresso pot since I already have an aluminium kettle.
pica - the birdbook is The New Birdwatcher's Pocket Guide to Britain and Europe, published by Mitchell Beazley. It slips neatly into a pocket.
loren - yes, the big lens it is. After this agonising decision-making process I'd better take some decent pictures otherwise it will all be very embarrassing!
Post a Comment
<< Home